Backyard Chicken Keeping Program

On July 25, 2019, City Council approved Ordinance Number 2019-35 which establishes the opportunity for City of St. Cloud residents whom occupy detached single family homes and duplexes to be able to keep up to 4 chickens in their backyards. In order to participate in this program, residents must obtain a Backyard Chicken Keeping Permit through the Community Development Department. Please contact the City of St. Cloud's, Zoning Division at 407-957-8422 or for more information. 

Chicken Side Banner horizontal.jpg

*Please Note*: If you wish to obtain a "Backyard Chicken-Keeping" Permit, you will need to participate in a "Chicken Keeping" class. The Osceola County UF/IFAS Extension Services offers the "Backyard Poultry Basics" class.  

Registration for the backyard Chicken Keeping Class

Learn how to keep chickens for fun and egg production! Topics covered include: Selecting chicken breeds, Raising chicks, Designing coops and pens, and Chicken health and nutrition.

 This class is offered through the UF IFAS Extension in Osceola County and meets the educational requirement for the St. Cloud Backyard Chicken Keeping Program, as well as other Central Florida urban chicken programs. Participants will receive a Certificate of Participation. 

Registration for the class is $6. Please contact Call Jessica Sullivan for additional registration options or class formats: 321-697-3000 at the University of Florida IFAS Extension-Osceola County Services Office at 352-392-1761 or the City of St. Cloud's, Zoning Division at 407-957-8422 or for more information.

Backyard Chicken Keeping CLASSES will be offered in-person on the following dates and locations:

Backyard Chicken Training Class - In person

August 18, 2022


Extension Services

1921 Kissimmee Valley Ln., Kissimmee, FL, 34744

Register Here

Backyard Chicken Training Class - In Person

October 8, 2022


St. Cloud Civic Center

3001 17th St., St. Cloud, FL, 34769

Register Here 



Chicken Keeping Application Packet

Ordinance No. 2019-35


Frequently Asked Questions

How many chickens will I be allowed to have?

Each permit issued will allow up to 4 chickens. No roosters will be allowed.

If your community has an HOA, you must get their approval first. 1 permit will be issued per parcel ID.

How much is the Backyard Chicken Keeping permit?  

The Permit fee is $25.00 and is good for one year.  
Renewals are $10.00.

What is the Backyard Chicken Keeping permit good for?

The Backyard Chicken permit will allow the Planning & Zoning Division to review the coop and run design and placement to ensure it meets the Ordinance’s requirements. An approved Backyard Chicken Keeping permit will give the applicant permission to keep up to 4 chickens in their backyard.

What type of property can have a Backyard Chicken Keeping permit?

Up to 4 chickens may be kept on an occupied detached single-family or duplex residence. Chickens shall NOT be kept on properties development with commercial uses, mobile home/manufactured home parks, triplexes, townhomes and apartments or other multifamily properties.

Will I need a separate building permit from the Building Department?

A separate permit may be required as follows:

COOP & RUN CONSTRUCTION – you will NOT need a separate building permit.

PRE-FABRICATED COOP & RUN – you will NOT need a separate building permit.

FENCE FOR RUN AREA ONLY – you will NOT need a separate building permit.

FENCE FOR SCREENING – you WILL be required to obtain a separate building permit from the Building Department for a fence.

Please contact the Building Department at 407-957-7224 if you have any questions regarding building permits.

How much room do I need for my chickens?

You will need at least 3 square feet per chicken in the coop.  Please read Ordinance #2019-35 since it indicates specific requirements about the coop and run placement, size, covering, fences, etc. In order to apply for a permit you must sign an Affidavit indicating that you have read and understand Ordinance #2019-35 and its requirements. You may contact the Planning and Zoning Division at 407-957-8427 if you have any questions.

According to Ordinance #2019-35, a “fenced pen enclosure/run is required”.  If I have a fully fenced backyard, will that be sufficient?

No. Your backyard does not qualify as the pen/run area. A separate fenced area (usually connected to the coop) is required for your chickens. The maximum size of the coop and pen shall be 120 square feet.

Ordinance #2019-35 states “chicken coops and pens shall be completely screened from adjacent roadways and neighboring parcels by a six-foot tall opaque fence or wall erected on the property line”.  What does this mean?

An opaque fence is one that is impenetrable by light; neither transparent nor translucent.  Wooden or vinyl slat fences are good examples of opaque fences if there are no spaces between slats. Pickett fences, chain link fences or chain link fences with slats are not opaque fences. The purpose of the opaque fence is to “screen” the chicken coop from your neighbors. Since your backyard does not qualify as the pen/run area, you will need to provide your chickens a separate fenced area (usually connected to the coop). If you have an opaque fence in your rear yard, your pen/run area does not need an opaque fence since you are already providing “screening” with your opaque fence.  This means your run area can be constructed of chicken wire, chain link or similar non-opaque material. However, if you do not have an opaque fence in your rear yard, your fenced run area will need to have an opaque fence.

Where can I get information about the Backyard Poultry Basics class?

The City will schedule classes that will be provided to City residents in conjunction with the Osceola County UF/IFAS Extension Office. Dates and times will be posted on the City’s Calendar and on this page.

I obtained a Backyard Chicken Keeping permit and have chickens but now I’m moving.  What do I do?

If you wish to relocate your chickens to your new house, you will need to notify the City in writing.  You must indicate your permit #, your new address and include a new coop sketch based on the new property.  An Affidavit will be required from the property owner if other than yourself.  If your community has a Homeowner’s Association, you must get their approval.

I obtained a Backyard Chicken Keeping permit and had chickens for a while but I decided I don’t want them anymore.   What do I do?

You will need to notify the City in writing of your desire to discontinue backyard chicken keeping. A final inspection will be completed within 30 days to ensure that the chickens, coop and pen have been removed from the property.

Can I sell the eggs my chicken lay?

Chickens shall be kept for personal use only. Selling chickens, eggs, or chicken manure, or the breeding of chickens for commercial purposes is prohibited.

Backyard Chickens.JPG 

More Information

For information, please contact the Zoning Division at 407-957-8422 or for more information.